Friday, May 14, 2010

Not A Twi-Mom!



Yesterday Oprah had a fantastic episode dedicated to “Twilight Saga” and their fans.  It’s a “Pheee-nomenon.”  I can’t wait for “Eeeeclipse” (said with the accent over the “E”). 

I loved most of it.  I can never get enough of Rob’s adoreable giggle.

But one thing bothered me.
WTF Ali Wentworth - "why the face"

Don’t call me a Twi-Mom!

Seriously people.  What is the deal with tacking the “mom” onto the back of any interest you have.  Just because you have kids.

Yes.  I am a Mother.  Yes.  I have children.  But what do they have to do with my "Twilight" obsession?

I can’t think of a thing.

A Soccer-Mom is a mother of a soccer player.  It means she is on the sidelines while the kid plays soccer.  She brings the snacks, drives to practice and cheers at the games.

A Band-Mom is the mother of a kid who is in the music program or marching band or maybe in a real rock band or something.

Same goes for a “Insert University of Choice here” – Mom.  Or Whatever!! You get my point!


My kids are not the ones who love “Twilight.”  I AM!  I just don’t get the terminology.

Is it a thing where, above all things, I am a mother.  It almost sounds like they are explaining or sort of apologizing for their behavior.  Like, “I know this is weird for me to like something for myself, because, you know, ‘I’m a Mom and I’m only supposed to be devoted to my kids but I really love Edward.”  What the Fuck is that??

Daddy likes to play Golf, but nobody calls him a “Golf-Dad.”  Or a “New York Giants-Dad”  They are golfers or Giants’ fans.

I had two problems with the Oprah Twi-Mom segment of the show.

1st-  Was Ali Wentworth condescending or what!!??  
She said first off, “I don’t get the obsession, blah, blah, blah.”  Okay that’s fine.  You don’t have to.  But she made those little passive aggressive remarks that I know were supposed to be funny, but kinda sounded judgy.  The strawberry thing. 
Then getting the kids to rat out their moms for “liking Edward more than them.”  Way to throw in some Mommy-guilt.


And, the whole part about loving Henry Kissinger.  Whuh!!  What was that about.  Are you saying you’re too smart for this?  Even Rob, Kristen and Taylor looked a little insulted at her saying, she still didn’t get it, “you kids are not my cup of tea.”  Way to treat your guests that just doubled your ratings.

2nd- Did those ladies really have to go the whole T-shirt wearing, monthly-meeting, let’s scrapbook Twi-stuff route.

Walking the “red-carpet?”  Reallly!!!??  (Said Seth & Amy style)


Way to make Mothers look like FREAKIN Morons people!  My second hand embarrassment was off the chart for that lot.
Fancy Schmancy. You've outdone yourself again, Doris

I saw your fancy “Southern Loving at Home” cake plate with the "Eclipse" countdown gracefully written on it with a coordinating red ribbon.  It was a bit to Martha for me.  So was the red Cosmo or Martini or what ever the fuck that was in the glass.  
And maybe Ali Wentworth was right.  Just a little too much effort was put into those strawberries.  That little soiree looked a little too “Women’s League” for me.
Waaay too much effort. Time should be spent reading "MoBS"


Where the hell was the beer and Naa-chos?

And no, my love of Twilight is not a “safe” crush.  It is not innocent.  I don’t want Edward to sneak into my room, and hold me till I fall asleep. 
I want him to do naughty, naughty things to me.
I want to fuck Robert Pattinson so hard, his head explodes!

They can have their safe fantasy while not cheating. 
Seriously people!  If R-Pattz even showed the slightest interest, I would leave with him so fast and not look back your head would spin. 
Not “safe.”  Not “innocent.”  Not “faithful.”

And I wonder if just one of those Twi-Mom sluts had one too many grenadine infused cocktails, would not say the same thing?

Would the other Moms become Judgy McJudgersons and tsk tsk at her.  Or would they agree and rip off their Hot Topic T-shirts to reveal their LaPerla lingerie and take pictures with the Edward Cardboard cutout between their legs.


So forgive me if I sound bitter.  I guess it’s a good thing, none of my bloggy friends wound up on Oprah to explain her level of passion.

Or the real truth would come out.  The smutty fan fiction.  The sparkly dildos.  The Edward panties.  The Twitarded trip to FORKSSSSSS!


Please “Twi-Moms” for the sake of the rest of us Fans with kids.  Cut the crap!  Call yourself what you really are.

I am a Twi-H00R And I am Proud!
Look...I made Kristen laugh.  Not an easy feat.


12 comments:

  1. OK...so as you can see, I am FURIOUS about the TWI-MOMs segment!!! GAH!!!!!! I am not interested in ROB or Twilight because of my daughter, I am interested for myself...I read fan fiction, visit Random acts of Rob every day, perv on Rob regularly, have had sex with my husband more than ever, and am damn proud of my COUGAR status...and don't really care who is uncomfortable with it....

    BUT I refuse to call myself a TWI-MOM!!!!!!! OPRAHs little interviewee was a condensending beyyyotch and I wish she woulda come to the Cougar den, I would shown her a thing or two...like how 50's Bella would have handled her BS!!!!

    GAH!!!! There are a lot of mature women who love this series who don't have ritarded red carpets and hang out in basements!!!!!! We go out and rock the world with out energy and hawtness and we don't care who knows it!!!! Thatnks for the blog baby!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMEN SISTER!! I don't have kids, but I was totally offended on behalf of my Twi-friends who do. WTF? I love your point about "Golf-Dads". Hypocritical fuckers. And yeah, Judgy McJudgersons all around, and as far as Ali Wentworth "not getting it" - WHO GIVES A FUCK? Last time I checked, no one gave a shit about what she thought! Dumb. Watching the cast be adorable was by far the only reason to watch. Rob is adorkable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE THIS POST!

    I just had this discussion while driving into work with another fan who happens to be a mom (I am a mom as well)

    You nailed it!(Like as hard as we want to nail him.. just saying)

    I don;t get the obsession with NEEDING to make sure that above all you are a MOM? What is that. I['m just as proud of my home, my family, my kids, the hubs as the next mom.. but it is not ALL that I am. It never has been.

    I watched this great video yesterday.. made by a Rob/Twi fan.. and it really hit home for me.... it's about how we fall into a persona.. but it never reflects our true selves..

    Check it out here if you like...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM6rsNQgP0k&feature=player_embedded

    I love this post.. it is everything I think.. really..

    What were you before you were a mom.. nonexistant?

    Great post!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha. love it. my BFF and I watched the show together and just cringed. it was soooo....wow.

    and i'm with you. It's anything but safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for showing that there are indeed some normal fans out there. Srsly. Those so called "TwiMoms" were a shame to the fandom imo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd like to stand up right now, and give you a round of applause!!! I freaking loved your post! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YES! I was SO embarrassed by that segment! It was Creepy. Capital C Creepy. My girls and I go crazy and have parties but we don't just take pics with Carboardward.... Um... anyway. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMROB!! You hit the nail right on the head - I don't want to mother him - I want to fuck him, for Rob's sake!! And the decked out basement with the faux red carpet - jeezus...and the way that Ali Worthless ran the segment - ughh...I'm forwarding this blog to all my fellow PattinH00rs! Thanks for putting down into words how embarassed I felt watching that piece of shit...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd like to just post and say I have mixed feelings about this whole thing.
    First, I will admit I am a regular on twilightmoms. I've met some pretty awesome people gotten involved in some awesome charity work, etc because of it (just as I've met some pretty awesome people on Twitarded!).
    On the other hand.... no one over at twilightmoms can figure out who those ladies were. They aren't on twilightmoms anyways. When I was watching, I felt a cringe of embarrassment too. But more like "oh dear God, this is what people think of the group twilightmoms."
    Anyways, yeah, my obsession with Twi-land has nothing to do with me being a mom. And as mentioned, I never even understood the term "soccermom".
    Just my thoughts in passing..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can the whole world read this? Because it is made of WIN.
    "Time should be spent reading "MoBS"... WIN..

    ReplyDelete
  11. This part jammed for me on youtube, but I was gonna skip it anyway, because even after a few minutes, I didn't like what I was seeing. Honestly, I don't get women like that either. I get us - horny bitches, but them - wanting to be a teen again for the sake of that first love feeling? Nah-uh.

    The problem is that loving Twilight comes with a stigma. Because seriously, it's hard for people to grasp how a person, let's say, over 30, can, not only be as obsessed as Dakota Fanning's 12 year old sister, but go to ridiculous lengths to satisfy her addiction. The issue lies in the fact that most people/societies are extremely judgmental and prejudiced, but that doesn't mean the rest of us should just step down and take it as it is. Blogosphere, for me, is one way of acting on crumbling these misconceptions.

    Excellent post. Never realized you had a blog - I'm a regular over at Twitarded, so I "know" you from there.

    ReplyDelete